Monday, May 10, 2010

Mermaid Cake


Mermaid Cake, originally uploaded by bakers-cakes.

This cake is based on the Barbie Doll Cake design. However, given that Ariel has a tail, the doll's legs are inside the cake and the tail is designed into the cake. It was so much fun to create her scaly shiny mermaid tail. I drew each scale with an exacto knife and then painted them with luster dust! While she is sitting on rocks, I didn't want the majority of the cake to be grey and brown, so I painted swirls of blue, green, and turquoise for the rocks to keep with the colors my client requested. The water swirl details add a whimsical touch to this sweet cake for a sweet five year old girl!

4 comments:

  1. This is super cute! I loved The Little Mermaid when I was little. (Oh, who am I kidding, I love it now!) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - it looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

    We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
    Interviewer. We'd
    like to give you the opportunity to
    give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

    It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
    be submitted online here Submit your
    interview
    .

    Best regards,

    Mike Thomas

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis