Saturday, March 14, 2009

Coconut Macaroons

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of coconut. I'd never drink a daqueri. Almond Joy is not my favorite candy bar. But the weather has been miserable in the southeast the last few days, and crummy weather makes me want to bake. It's comforting and cozy and warm. It makes the house smell yummy.


I was standing in line at Trader Joe's, and right there in front of me, on the "impulse shelf" were some delicious looking coconut macaroons. Remembering that I had some sweetened flaked coconut and sweetened condensed milk at home, I resisted the urge to sweep the entire shelf of cookies into my cart. 

These are probably about the easiest cookie to make! I would have done step-by-step photos for you, but there really aren't any steps!!!

Coconut Macaroons

Preheat oven to 325'
Stir together until combined:
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt 
Stir in:
3 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut

Drop by measuring tablespoons onto parchment paper or silpat lined cookie sheets, about 2" apart. Bake one sheet at a time for 20-25 minutes. Place sheet on a rack to cool after all the cookies are golden brown and let stand until completely cool. (Makes about 2 dozen cookies). 



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis